Sunday, July 22, 2007

Weekend Ramblings

I FINALLY went out for Indian food, guys! I've lived so close to Devon for the past two years and I'd never been to an Indian restaurant before. (This has been attributed to a couple of friends bad homemade Indian-inspired dishes)

Guess what? I loved it. We went to Hema's Kitchen on Oakley with Craig and Latha. I had a Mango Lassi to drink. Then we all shared Poori (delicious deep fried puffy bread) Vegetable Samosas and Chicken Tandoori, Chicken Vindaloo, Dal, Sag Paneer, Chana Gosht, Haryali Chicken and of course Basmati Rice. Then we walked around Devon for a while and ended up at Sukhadia's for sweets! There were all kinds of little colorful sweet things, so we got a box that was sampling. I can't describe all of it but I was definitely in a sugar coma by the time they dropped us off at home. I feel asleep on the couch.

I know this might be a little mean, but we kept making jokes about this salon that we passed on Devon called "Mahboob". You can imagine....
They also do piercings there NOT KIDDING!

All in all, everything was great and we had a lot of fun. It's amazing that little India is less than a mile from where we live, such a bustling, busy little area of town. Next time I'm hitting up the fabric stores!

Even though I wasn't exactly following my diet last night, I have been doing really well. I bought frozen yogurt to eat instead of ice cream. And I went a whole week without dessert. Also been riding my bike to work at least 4 times a week! Woo hoo! And have been doing a bike ride or walking on the weekends.

Yesterday we did some apartment hunting. We found a place we really like, but it was very dirty and we hope the landlord will bring it up to our standards before we would move in. It's on a side street off Howard in a small 1920's 8 unit building. So cute. The layout was perfect and it had all these little vintage details, like some of the light fixtures, and a little stained glass window in the hallway. The dining room had a cove ceiling. The back porch was clean (wow, no pigeons!) I wasn't in love with the cupboards. There was one old metal cupboard that was painted white, but it just looked gross. The other cupboards in the kitchen were that oaky-colored stuff... I would rather have it be painted white. Same with the cupboard under the bathroom vanity. But at least it had a lot of storage and closet space. I'm not sure how we feel about moving all the way up to Howard though.

Our other option is a building that is about 8 blocks from here and it was VERY clean, but the building manager was hard to communicate with, and a little on the pushy side. It was large enough but the layout wasn't as great. However, it would be closer to our part of Rogers Park. I think I'm falling in love with the Morse area. I know that might sound crazy to some of you people...

Well I think I'm going to go walking.

1 comment:

Julie said...

oh so glad you visited hema's- my fav.