Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Easter

As a bunny-obsessed, little girl, Easter was one of my favorite holidays. I still have a special place in my heart for it and dream of the day when we get to host an egg hunt at our house.... and of the day when I will have chickens that lay their own colored eggs.... just have to convince husband that he will enjoy having chickens for pets.

I end up dying eggs about every other year or so, and I'm very interested in new ways of achieving unique colors, textures, and patterns. The last time, I experimented with using silk tie scraps for dying.

Last week a facebook friend posted an article about using natural things to dye eggs. So that's what we did.

I didn't want to get all crazy with it so I just chose a few items to experiment with - blueberries (frozen), spinach (frozen), turmeric, and paprika. The blueberries and spinach I boiled for a while. I only used the juice from the blueberries but there was still a lot of debris in the liquid. I left the leaves of spinach in the bowl to see what kind of texture effect they would have on the egg. The spinach barely worked at all on its own (maybe because it was frozen), but there were some unexpected things happening when an egg was first soaked in the spinach mixture then another color. Some of them were soaked for more than an hour.

1. Turmeric and Paprika
2. Spinach then Turmeric/Paprika
3. Blueberries then Turmeric/Paprika
4. half of the egg in Spinach then the whole egg in Blueberries
5. the whole egg in Spinach then Blueberries
6. just Blueberries


Another perk of the exercise was utilization of the egg cup collection from my Aunt Lori, and one I purchased in Chinatown on Easter. My mother-in-law was visiting and in addition to eggs and Chinatown shopping, our weekend included korean bbq, manhattans, movies, bathroom sink shopping, antiquing, Glen's Diner, yard work, and an Easter dinner of pork tenderloin (cooked to perfection by my dear husband) and this. I can't believe we did all that.

Now who wants some egg salad???

No comments: